The Red Lion
Located in the picturesque village of Marsworth
A place to wine, a place to dine
A friendly warm atmosphere, children and dogs welcome
The Red Lion – situated in the heart of the village, close to bridge 130 of the Grand Union Canal. This traditional, relaxed and welcoming pub has several secluded drinking areas, picnic tables to the front of the pub and a large well kept beer garden to the rear which is a delightful sun-trap in the summer. On colder days – whilst the outside benches may be unoccupied – inside the wood burning stove and open fire in the public bar keep the warm atmosphere alive.
The new host, Will Foster, offers a range of quality ales, lagers, ciders, spirits, wines and soft drinks, alongside the very popular home cooked food both from the menu and on the seasonal specials board – including a delicious and very filling Sunday roast!
According to deeds hanging in the pub, dated 1683, The Red Lion has been a centre point of Marsworth for hundreds of years. There are clues in the structure of the pub suggesting the building itself was standing for many years prior to this. The cruck frame technique, visible at the far end of the pub, paired with the thatched roof, hint at it being constructed as long ago as the Anglo-Saxon period, although the pub hasn’t always been as big as it is at present. What we now know as the ‘games area’, home to the bar billiards table and dart board, used to be two cottages, with one front door and the old fire places still visible today.
COVID-19 changes that we have made to keep you safe
The safety and well-being of our team and guests is our top priority
Things may still be a little different for a while. To help create a safe environment for everyone, we’ve enhancing our high standards of hygiene even further. There are also some changes to service ensuring everyone is safe but you can rest assured that everyone will still get a special welcome!
- There are separate entrances and exits to ensure that we meet government advice on safe distancing. We ask all our guests to be respectful of this policy when they visit us.
- It is mandatory to wear a face covering when moving around our bar and restaurant. It is not necessary to wear a mask when seated at your table.
- We are operating a table service only for food and drinks
- Social Distancing – please respect one another’s space and don’t move furniture, it has been positioned for Social Distancing
- Hand sanitiser stations are available throughout the pub
- Dedicated Employees will be keeping the Pub clean at all times. Every table is cleaned thoroughly at the end of every guest visit.
- We prefer card transactions at this time (but we will accept cash)